In June 2009, I published a career book called Service Corps to Social Impact Career for prospective, current, and former participants of a wide range of service corps who want to use their service experience as a building block to their next steps.
Developing the book involved:
- Identifying topics to include (creating an outline of the project)
- Learning and adhering to the organization’s style guide
- Researching, writing, and revising — meeting deadlines all the way
- Collaborating with an editor and manager to make decisions about the final content, look, title, etc.
- Tying content of the book to relevant resources including Idealist’s Guides to Nonprofit Careers and our podcast shows
Learn more, or download each section individually:
- Introduction (Download the Introduction PDF))
Getting started: A quick introduction to this book
- Part One (Download Part One PDF)
Before your transition: Setting yourself up for success during your term
- Part Two (Download Part Two PDF)
During your transition: Making the switch from service to social impact work
- Part Three (Download Part Three PDF)
After your transition: Adjusting to your new work and staying ready for the future
- Conclusion (Download Conclusion PDF)
Or download the full book:
This book is a companion to The Idealist Guide to Nonprofit Careers for First Time Job Seekers.